FAQ's about ECO ROOF
1. Is the strapping material you use (1" x 3" spruce) sufficiently strong (is it cured?) and what is it attached to?
Spruce is a Canadian softwood that has proven to be a highly effective as a stapping material for metal roofing. It provides excellent anchoring characteristics for fasteners because it is not prone to becoming brittle and cracking like many hardwoods. The spruce we use is not treated because it is not weather exposed. Our roofing system is double strapped with both vertical and horizontal battens to provide optimum sub-tile drainage and ventilation . Condensation occurs beneath all metal roofing and double strapped roofing provides both excellent drainage and ventilation. Our vertical strapping is mechanically fastened to your existing roof sheathing and rafters using long shanked nails, and the horizontal strapping that supports our panels is similarly attached to this vertical stapping
2. Can the existing slope of the roof be increased some what with graduated strapping?
Technically yes. We would need to determine by how much you want to alter the roof slope gradient and then decide if that is the right solution
3. Do exposed fasteners increase the likelihood of water leakage? How are these possibilities mitigated?
London Eco Roof panels are engineered with a unique tension release feature built in to the relief edges of every panel row. This feature eliminates the traditional stress loads exerted on exposed mechanical fasteners when the metal roof panels expand and contract.
Our ‘permaseal’ fastener system uses a corrosion resistant galvanised steel 1.5” fastener designed to match the longevity of your roof panels. The fasteners have an encapsulated neoprene washer sealed beneath a cupped metal washer that protects the neoprene washer against direct UV exposure. Our screws are coated with the same paint as your metal roof to ensure no color variation between your roof and the screws. The key advantage of exposed fasteners is that they allow roof panels to be individually removed or replaced in the unlikely event that panels are ever damaged by falling debris like trees.
4. Is your estimate strictly for steel roofing only? What would the price be for a 26 or 28 gauge aluminum roof?
The price for our aluminum roofing is approximately is $1.00 per square foot more than steel. Our steel roofing is 25 gauge and aluminum in 26 gauge. Aluminum has higher corrosion resistance- but is also softer. If you have concerns about falling trees or hail, steel is stronger. Both products carry the same warranty
5. I have a cathedral ceiling. Is it possible to remove only few of the shingles so that more cellulose insulation can be blown in from outside?
If that is what your architect recommends- I then suggest you have an independent cellulose contractor do this for you. Bear in mind that you should not completely seal cathedral roofs. They do require an airspace to 'breath' and you may well cause a bigger problem doing this. Also bear in mind that double strapped metal roofing will help negate most of the ice damming issues you are currently experiencing
6. Why is this "No HST" promotion only up to March 31? Can it be extended?
We keep our crews busy in winter by letting them work on low pitch roofs. The company makes very little profit on these jobs. In Summer we have more work than we can cope with and regular rates apply after March 31
7. Is there any discount for seniors?
Yes we offer a $400 Seniors Discount on orders exceeding $10,000 before HST
8. Do seniors get any provincial incentive for upgrading their fiberglass shingles roof to a metal (steel/aluminum) roof due to fire resistance and increased safety ?
I am not aware of provincial incentives ,however speak to you home insurer about metal roofing . Some insurers will offer you a discount because metal roofing is fire resistant andwind resistant up to 150km/hour. Also bear in mind that our metal roofing system will save you on your Summer cooling costs, typically $300-$400 a year
9. Can you guarantee that no ice-dams will happen during the life of the roof?
The likelihood of ice dams is greatly reduced with offset mounted metal roofing systems and this is a very well documented fact . Can we guarantee absolutely no ice damming. No we can not - The reason is that some roofs can have underlying problems like 'heat traps' caused by too much insulation or bad design which prevents the roofs from ventilating properly
10. Are the 55 yr and 50 yr warranties for material and labour respectively, iron-clad or there are small prints?
We offer a no nonsense, non pro-rated , fully transferable warranty.
11. Is it possible to upgrade the strapping to a minimum of 2" x 4" treated spruce? If so, how much extra would it cost?
We only use 1x3 strapping because the size and tolerances of the wood are specifically designed to match our standard metal flashings and roof panels. I believe we can offer treated spruce and will let you know how much extra that will be once I do final ground measurements
13. Does your iron-clad warranty explicitly cover against mould and fungus?
A sub-tile ventilated roof system with double stapping is specifically designed to ensure optimum drainage and ventilation. No roof system offers better protection. Notwithstanding, mould and fungus growth due to heat and moisture traps within the attic are specifically precluded in our TERMS AND CONDITIONS of sale. ( see attached)
14. Are LER roofs steel or aluminum?
We offer all panel profiles in both steel and aluminum. Aluminum is $1.00 per sq ft more than steel.
Pros of aluminum.....higher corrosion resistance, cons.....softer , you need to take more care when walking on roof, more prone to denting if hail stones exceed 40mm
15. As part of this project I’m looking at getting my chimney fixed and new eavestroughs installed. Does your company offer these services?
No we do not repair chimneys or install troughing - your best bet for this type of work in Ottawa is TOP HAT.
16. I watched the youtube video on the roof installation and looked at the pictures and noticed that there is no ventilation stacks. Is this normal? Does the system ventilate the attic sufficiently by itself to not require these stacks?
Our roofs use dual ridge ventilation- your roof attic vents via the new ridge vent we install- plus our metal roof panels are double strapped to provide 'above sheathing ventilation'.
Dual ridge ventilation provides the most effective form of ventilation for Canadian climates
17. Your roof installation video shows the ridge cap having 2 pieces of foam strip on each side. Does this foam last the 50 years the roof is supposed to last? How accessible is the foam to critters? There are a number of critters, especially squirrels, in my area looking for a nice dry place to hand out.
· Our vent strip uses nylon matrix technology - guaranteed to last 50 years
· Lower-profile is almost invisible once installed
· Prevents rain, snow, and insect infiltration
· Relieves heat and moisture from the attic
The half inch space at the eave and the ridge is not big enough for squirrels to enter the roof.
18. Are there any seasons/reasons that the install is cheaper at certain times versus others?
That depends entirely on prevailing company policy, Winter installs can sometimes be cheaper for walkable roofs - a NO HST promotion is sometimes offered by London Eco Roof between December 1- March 31. This is a promotion the company runs during the winter months specifically for homes that are bungalows and have a low pitch that allows our installers to do winter installations.
We promote the deal by 'paying the HST'. We do however pay the tax on the quoted price. The opening line of all contracts negotiated at this seasonal discount will state "Winter Works - Install by March 31st". This notation allows our head office to record and apply a credit to your job from an allocated winter marketing promotion budget.
19. What are the colour options and are they all the same price ?
We have a variety of colors to choose from . I normally show clients our 3 panels options and 9 colors hen I come measure the roof.
Standard Colors – Black, Blue-Gray, Slate Gray, Burnished Slate, Brown Mocha, Chocolate Brown, TerraCotta, Colonial Red, Green.
Premium Colors – Copper, Antichado ( extra $0.50 /cents per sq. Fft)
20. Does double strapping lead to condensation forming beneath metal panels
Great question. The main reason that a single strapped roof creates a condensation trap is because it is not double strapped.
A single strapped roof only has horizontal straps that will trap the moisture that forms beneath all metal panels and provides no open drainage plane to facilitate proper ventilation and drainage. Trapped moisture will slowly rot out single roof strapping and lead to ultimate roof failure.
The image on the top of this page clearly illustrates how some manufacturers promote single strapped roofs with ventilation
A double strapped roof has vertical straps applied to the rafters beneath your sheathing deck, as well as horizontal straps.
A double strapped roof provides a solution for addressing the problem of condensation forming beneath metal roofing according to Todd Miller, President of the Metal Roofing Association of North America.
You can read more about this on the MRA website (Metal Roofing Association )
WHY ECO ROOF?
* Reduces Energy Costs
* Improves Indoor Comfort
* Eliminates Roof Leaks
* Prevents Ice Dams
* Improves Curb Appeal
* Increases Property Value
* Maximizes Return on Investment